Subject: Re: anyone have a v3.0.3 3/80 bootROM available?
To: None <cdewick@sunshack.org>
From: Rick Sustek <rsustek@cisco.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 02/19/2002 15:40:32
Craig Dewick wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Michael Thompson wrote:
>
> There are no programmers that I'm aware of which
> can be used with a Unix system as there are no ways to get data sent in
> raw format via a serial port.

I have used Data I/O and other(?) brands in the past, with
UNIX systems.  Typically, this involved "readying" the unit to
accept a file stream on its serial port, and then copying the
file to the tty device on the UNIX machine.

The process of "readying" the unit was either via front panel
keyed input, or from the UNIX machine, over the serial line,
using the 'cu' or 'tip' programs to type in appropriate commands.

Also, the file to be downloaded was typically Motorola S-record
format, or Intel hex format, or often just raw binary image.

So don't lose hope!  It's doable.

Rick