Subject: Re: Cooling
To: NetBSD/sun3 Discussion List <port-sun3@netbsd.org>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/30/2001 09:27:16
On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 02:24:39AM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> Traditionally keeping drives cool has been much more of a problem than
> most cards (you only run into trouble if you have fully populated
> slots).  For example the original 10k RPM Cheeta requires 80 CFM of air
> flow past it in order to survive (and presumably to meet warranty
> conditions).  Some older Atlas and Barracuda drives were even more
> demanding though the Cheeta was one of the first where I noticed that
> the installation manual explicitly stated the air flow requirements.
> These air flow volumes are almost impossible to achieve in any
> traditional PC chassis, and even on some industrial machines (at least
> without using those "bay cooler" fans now available).

Say, that reminds me... At an expo down at the fairgrounds the other week
I found some people selling heat sinks for 3.5" drives. The heat sinks
were small enough that they could fit on top of a drive and still allow
another drive to be mounted in the (5.25") bay above it.

Oh yes, and there were fans in front to blow air in and over the heat sink.

Does this sound reasonable? Anyone think it will work very well? I'm
considering buying one next time.

"It sounded pretty good, but it's hard to tell how it will work out
in practice." -- Dennis Ritchie, ~1977, "Summary of a DEC 32-bit machine"