Subject: Re: Various connectors
To: Andy Ball <ball@cyberspace.org>
From: Michael Thompson <m_thompson@ids.net>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/30/2001 08:01:12
The DIN connector specification is only for Germany. If you want to be
truely accurate the connectors are IEC 603-2 Type C-96. The 3/50 and 3/60
only get power from the connector. The 9U Sun boards have conventional
32-bit VMEbus on the a, b, and c rows of the J1 (left) and b row of the J2
(middle) connectors. There is a proprietary Sun memory bus on the a and c
rows of the J2 and the b row of the J3 (right) connectors of CPU, Memory,
some Video, Z-Buffer, and Graphics Processor boards. The a and c rows of
the J3 connector have additional power pins.

At 05:47 PM 3/29/01 -0500, Andy Ball wrote:

>Hello!
>
>Looking at photographs on the web I notice that the 3/50 and
>3/60 have a single DIN 41612 style connector on the right
>hand side (components up, outside panel towards you).  Is
>this VME, something proprietary, or just an interesting way
>of getting power onto the board?  ;-)
>
>Also, I noticed that many SUN 3 boards are 9U, with three
>DIN 41612 style connectors (at least, that's what I'm
>assuming they are).  I'm guessing that two of these provide
>a 32-bit VME bus.  What's the third for?
>
>Regards,
>  - Andy.

Michael Thompson
E-Mail: M_Thompson@IDS.net