Subject: Cool for Cats
To: None <port-sun3@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ball <ball@cyberspace.org>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/30/2001 03:09:09
Hello Greg!

  GAW> Well most modern PC power supplies run very cool
     > anyway, so the ATX specifications for fan and air
     > flow actually make sense.

ATX is a step in the right direction, but there are still
things I would do differently given the chance.

  GAW> Modern LP 3.5" drives have gotten a lot better
     > (though I've not yet seen anything on the new 15k rpm
     > drives).

It's doubtful I'd get one of those to play with anyway.  The
only SCSI hard disk I have laying around at the moment is an
old Quantum 'Prodrive ELS' 170Mb.  If it still works it may
be useful for a 'disk-light' machine, but believe I really
need to find something larger for my main machine.

  GAW> The power supplies on the 12-slot 3/2x0's are rated
     > at somewhere between 750 and 950 watts (depending on
     > exact model, year, etc., IIRC).

Well, if I need a comfortable home for six 3/60 mainboards
I'll know what to do (have myself comitted for not using
more energy-efficient boards ;o)

  GAW> My whole server room now runs on two UPS's totalling
     > 1700VA (though I'm adding another 1400VA unit as soon
     > as I get a new battery for it because I'm maxed out
     > and I've got one or two more servers to add).

I used to work for a UPS company, and I really didn't enjoy
rummaging around in the larger ones (3KVA and up).

  GAW> He was hard to keep brushed because he was scared of
     > the other cats and the strange place and kept
     > hiding.)

Perhaps the noise from all those cooling fans was driving
him scatty?  :-)

Regards,
  - Andy.