Subject: Re: Cooling
To: None <port-sun3@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/29/2001 20:40:29
>> I've got a -3/60 running this way right now in a -3/260 cardcage (I
>> have the -3/60 case, but I trust cooling more in the -3/260
>> enclosure).

> I imagine having the boards vertical assists convection cooling,
> assuming there's free (or forced) airflow from below, through the
> cage, and out the top.

There isn't; the airflow goes the other way.  There is a bank of fans
(9? 12?) at the bottom of the cardcage that pulls air down over the
cards and out the bottom.

I installed an airflow restrictor (a blank sheet of metal that slides
into the board guides) in the slot next to the CPU, then laid pieces of
paper to block the airflow to the right of it.  (This because there's
nothing there, and I'd rather pull more air over the CPU board.  At
worst some of the fans will not be moving much air.)

> Are cooling problems common with 'wide pizza box' machines?

In my experience, yes.  I think I've lost at least one CPU board to
overheating, and come close to losing others.

>> ...nothing but the -3/60 in it, so there's nothing for it to
>> communicate with.)
> The 3/260's a 12 slot case isn't it?

Yes.

> No shortage of air space in that one then!  :-)

Right!  With cooling designed to handle some eight or ten boards, I
figure this piddling little -3/60 should be no problem.

Overkill Is Your Friend.  Especially when trying to keep ancient
hardware going. :-)  (I want to move the functionality that -3/60 is
supporting to somewhat more modern hardware, but I haven't time right
now, so in the meantime I'd like to keep it happy.)

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca