Subject: Re: Various connectors
To: Andy Ball <ball@cyberspace.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/29/2001 18:08:22
> Looking at photographs on the web I notice that the 3/50 and 3/60
> have a single DIN 41612 style connector on the right hand side
> (components up, outside panel towards you).  Is this VME, something
> proprietary, or just an interesting way of getting power onto the
> board?  ;-)

Everything I've found on the subject indicates it's the last of those,
with the pinout being VME-compatible as far as power goes.  I've also
seen it said "it's VME, but all the board uses is power", which is
another way of saying the same thing.

You can slap a -3/50 or -3/60 into a 9U VME cardcage and it'll work
Just Fine (as long as the power supply can handle the load, of course;
note also that it takes the back-panel space of two boards).  I've got
a -3/60 running this way right now in a -3/260 cardcage (I have the
-3/60 case, but I trust cooling more in the -3/260 enclosure).  (The
/50 or /60 won't be able to access VME cards, of course, since it
doesn't have a VME interface, but that doesn't always matter; the
machine I mentioned above, for example, has nothing but the -3/60 in
it, so there's nothing for it to communicate with.)

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca