Subject: Re: 1.5 installation trouble
To: None <jwbirdsa@picarefy.picarefy.com>
From: Havard Eidnes <he@runit.no>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/12/2001 11:03:05
> >I also had to search around a bit to discover that the Sun-3/60
> >boot ROM requires you to disable parity on the SCSI bus before it
> >wants to deal with the drive (as in "boot from it").  That must
> >be a rather obvious candidate for an addition to the install
> >notes...
>
>    I had always thought this to be true, but apparently it
> depends on your boot ROM version. When I switched from SunOS
> 4.1.1 to NetBSD 1.4 a year and a half ago, I tried turning on
> SCSI parity just to check, and all of my 3/60's (and other
> Sun-3's) were perfectly happy to boot with parity on.  Maybe
> somebody should make a chart of what versions are OK with
> parity and what versions aren't. What version is yours?

The Sun Hardware FAQ on http://www.mso.anu.edu.au/~kim/faq/part2
has the following to say on the matter:

21) My Sun-3 won't boot from a SCSI disk, but when I hook the disk up
    to another machine or boot from another disk, it works fine. What?
21a)My Sun-4 won't boot from a SCSI disk, but...

        SunOS can use SCSI disks with SCSI parity turned on, but in
        general Sun-3's can't boot from them, although there are reports
        that certain model/boot ROM versions can (3/60 with > 2.9).
        Sun-4's apparently can boot from disks with parity turned on.
        Check the jumpers on the drive or the SCSI converter card
        (Emulex MD-21, Adaptec ACB4000, etc.).

        For a Sun-4, the problem may also be that the drive is
        initiating synchronous negotiation. The boot ROMs can't cope
        with this; they expect the kernel to initiate synchronous
        negotiation after booting. Check the jumpers on the drive.

The ROM version on the Sun-3/60 I've been installing on is 1.6.

It most definately did not want to talk to the Seagate Hawk 2GB LP
drive we initially hooked up, even though netbsd when booted
recognized and used the drive without problems.  However, since I
didn't have any of those ultra-small jumpers lying around, I could
not jumper the drive for no-parity operation, so I had to revert to
using a 1GB Micropolis drive instead.  Come to think of it I don't
think I even tried that particular drive with parity turned on.

Regards,

- H=E5vard