Subject: Re: Sun 3/50 Ham Radio.
To: David Kelly , Alan Pearson <pearsona@altavista.net>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: port-sun3
Date: 02/10/2001 05:14:55
On Jun 23,  2:14am, David Kelly wrote:
}
} I fail to see why AX.25 belongs in the kernel, as Linux has done. Timing

     Umm, because that's where the lower layers of network protocols
normally live.  This helps to improve general system performance since
you don't need to context switch multiple times for every packet.

} needed then use the kernel's SL/IP, PPP, or BPF interface. Direct
} access to the 8530 serial port would be nice as then one could use a

     Direct hardware access is a major no-no on multiuser systems.

} With that said, there used to be a suite of patches against NetBSD for
} adding AX.25 into the kernel at ftp.ucsd.edu. Have heard said that this

     I poked around there, but didn't find it.  Could you post an exact
URL please?

} Unix needs a Unix-AX25 userland suite of applications. But nobody seems

     Why, what's wrong with running TCP/IP over AX25?

}-- End of excerpt from David Kelly