Subject: Re: Kernel vs. userland
To: None <jwbirdsa@picarefy.picarefy.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 12/23/2000 16:05:18
On Sat, 23 Dec 2000, Julian Coleman wrote:

: >    I have a 3/80 running 1.4, and I'd really like to drop in the 1.4.2
: > fixed (no memory leak) kernel. Do I have to do a full upgrade to 1.4.2,
: > or for a minor-rev difference like this can I just drop in the updated
: > kernel?
:
: You can just drop in the new kernel.  This is almost always the case and
: always the case along a release branch.  The exception is when the kernel
: needs (e.g.) COMPAT_14 to handle 1.4 syscalls and has been compiled without.
: Generic kernels tend to have the COMPAT_NN code compiled in.

Well, from 1.4 to 1.4.2, you don't even need COMPAT_14 -- there isn't a
difference in the syscall ABI.  Just a kernel update should be perfectly
fine.

Do note, however, that the ipf and ipnat tools will be incompatible, because
(IIRC) a new version of ipf was pulled up between 1.4 and 1.4.2.  If you
don't use ipf or ipnat on that box, you're safe; otherwise, you need to
extract the 1.4.2 base.tgz too.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- NetBSD 1.5 now available on CD-ROM  --  http://www.wasabisystems.com/