Subject: Re: Sun 3/80 Headless
To: Mark Abene <phiber@radicalmedia.com>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 12/20/2000 14:46:40
Mark Abene said:
>On Tue, Dec 19, 2000 at 08:46:02PM -0500, Andy Ball wrote:
>>
>>   DB> ...the 3/80 is a little fussy about it being
>>     > terminated correctly.
>>
>>   That's handy to know, I'll take care to double-check that.
>>   From what people are saying, it sounds as though the host
>>   adaptor isn't terminated, and sits in the chain between an
>>   internal drive and the SCSI port on the back (so both the
>>   drive and port should be terminated)...does this sound
>>   right?
>
>>From experience, that's probably a valid assessment.

Maybe it depends on the rev of the hardware or the OS, but I have
a Sun 3/80 that happily runs SunOS 4.1.1 on two internal Quantum
105 meg drives without a terminator on the back.

I'm planning to install NetBSD on the box, but I'm going to remove
the two internal drives  so that I can keep SunOS and install NetBSD
on a much larger external drive.
--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com