Subject: building RAMDISK kernel failure (Re: Warning: no /dev/console)
To: None <port-sun3@netbsd.org>
From: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
List: port-sun3
Date: 06/07/2000 22:24:53
In <200006051334.JAA20926@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu wrote:

> > the problem is in-kernel ramdisk. But the netbsd-RAMDISK kernel
> > also seems to contains /dev/console:
>
> Exactly.  The ramdisk kernel is where all the problems seem to lie.
> 1.  the no dev console thing.
> 2.  the non-working scsi spinups

I tried to build sun3 RAMDISK kernels, but there were
some problems in src/distrib/sun3:

- The definitions of ramdisk are inconsistent among etc/disktab,
  sun3/config/RAMDISK{,3X} and distrib/ramdisk/Makefile.
- ramdisk/Makefile uses /dev/sd1b implicitely to make ramdisk image.
  (vnd should be used here.)
- ramdisk/Makefile uses home-grown rdsetroot, not MI mdsetimage.
  (I guess mdsetimage is based on rdsetroot, though.)

How was the latest snapshot built? Is anyone working to fix these?
---
Izumi Tsutsui
tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp