Subject: Re: Warning: no /dev/console (in 1.4.2...how to fix?)
To: None <port-sun3@netbsd.org>
From: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
List: port-sun3
Date: 06/03/2000 01:20:23
In <20000602145127.F1442DE@proven.weird.com>
woods@weird.com wrote:

> > I am still having the ``warning: no /dev/console'' on NetBSD-1.4.2
> > if I use the tapeboot of NetBSD (no problem using a SunOS boot tape
> > to load the miniroot).  I have to assume it is something to do with
> > the NetBSD-1.4.2 (and the 1.4P snapshot) ramdisk kernels.

> I don't know about fixes, but I do know that the problem is simply that
> there's no "/dev/console" on your miniroot.  If you're dd'ing the

The 1.4.2 miniroot seems to contain /dev/console:

---
# vnconfig vnd0 miniroot
# mount /dev/vnd0a /mnt
# ls -l /mnt/dev/console
crw--w--w-  1 root  wheel  0, 0 Mar  7 07:31 /mnt/dev/console
---

In <200005291729.NAA03756@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu wrote:

> They complained after booting on the NetBSD distro tape boots with:
>
> root on md0a dumps on md0b
> warning: no /dev/console

In this point, the kernel says "root on md0a" so I think
the problem is in-kernel ramdisk. But the netbsd-RAMDISK kernel
also seems to contains /dev/console:

---
# strings netbsd-RAMDISK | less
[...]
MAKEDEV
console
kmem
null
eeprom
[...]
---

BTW, MakeBootTape script has the following lines:

---
# Segment 2 is the Sun3 ramdisk kernel.
gzip -d -c ../../binary/kernel/netbsd-rd.sun3.gz |
  dd of=$T obs=8k conv=sync
---

But there is no netbsd-rd.sun3.gz kernel in 1.4.2 directory.
There is a netbsd-RAMDISK.gz kernel and 1.4 has netbsd-rd.sun3.gz
kernel, though. How do people make install boot tapes???
(I have no experience of tapeboot...)
---
Izumi Tsutsui
tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp