Subject: Re: 3/60 netboot/install problem
To: Kevin P. Neal <>
From: Jeffrey Dunitz <>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/24/2000 19:13:33
Vers Wed, May 24, 2000 at 01:04:13PM -0400, Kevin P. Neal disait quelque chose comme:
> Anybody know how well netbooting deals with a very very busy network?
> I don't know what Bob's network is like, but the network on a different
> part of campus (in one of the Engineering buildings, one building over
> from the Engineering admins) has a single 10base-T network for the
> entire building.

Well, when the 3/60 was popular, a shared 10Mbps network for a whole
building was pretty much the norm. I guess some people stuck bridges
between servers and desktops, or between departments, but certainly
there were a lot of companies 10 years ago who had a couple hundred people
on a shared network.
Not that it was pretty...look up "ethernet meltdown" in the Hacker's Dictionary.

> Just a guess.
> --
> XCOMM Kevin P. Neal:  Senior, CSC, NCSU
> XCOMM "There are %d threatening little dwarves in the room with you."
> XCOMM    -- BSD /usr/games/adventure source code.

Jeffrey Dunitz                 | *** ***   |
BOFH Emeritus, Avalon Networks | Network Engineer    | (651) 686-9974 / | Net/Sec/Dev/Arch    | Eagan, MN  _ /