Subject: Re: sun3 scsi still/again/whatever (juju required).....
To: None <port-sun3@netbsd.org>
From: Alexander Bochmann <ab@infra.de>
List: port-sun3
Date: 04/16/2000 19:35:52
Hi,

first, thanks to all who have answered...

...on Thu, Apr 13, 2000 at 12:20:54PM -0400, NetBSD Bob wrote:

 > Drive numbering alternates by twos.  The first controller has
 > two drives max, and the second controller has two drives max,
 > and the tape has its own controller.  Putting straight scsi
 > drives on the bus makes the drives jump by twos on sunos...0, 2, 4, etc.

Ok, obviously I had sort of a modern times misconception there... I
found a document on sunsolve (doc id 915), which explains the numbering
of scsi devices on old suns, and I think I have understood it now ;)

 > That sometimes leads to problems.  If you get no such controller,
 > your drive ID's are possibly not what you think they are to the
 > system.

Obviously - I shouldnt have started playing with scsi IDs at all,
just setting the drive to ID 0 and booting (b sd(,,1) -sw) simply
works - suninstall is currently happily going along... I guess this
was too easy to try it at all for me, at least)...

 > When I run straight drives on my machines, I can put no more than two
 > on the bus plus tape, under most circumstances.  The hardware drive
 > ID's are 0 and 1, and the machine thinks they are 0 and 2.

According to the above document, the system counts LUN0 and LUN1
for each scsi device, so that device numbers are incrementing by
two to the next scsi ID...

 > Are you sure your tape drive is actually reading sunos correctly?

That seems to be working without problems, although the drive has
the date 1.6.89 on some QA sticker.

 > > 	Have you tried swapping things out with the other sun?
 > > 	Alternatively you could always netboot :)
 > That should do, too.

Yeah, I had the system already up and running with NetBSD,
netbooting. But with file systems and swap on the network, its
not really usable - the system crashes quite often. Creating a
new kernel or something usually needs about 10 reboots, and even
only an irc client or something brought it down every third day
or so.
I think Im really better off with sunos on this box...

Alex.