Subject: Re: sun3 scsi still/again/whatever (juju required).....
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 04/14/2000 10:21:26
On Thu, Apr 13, 2000 at 02:31:50PM -0400, NetBSD Bob wrote:
> I would agree.  I default to sunos if NetBSD won't come up.  Of late,
> the 1.4.2 NetBSD has been running relatively well on one of my 3/260s.
> If I have scsi drives, I try NetBSD first.  If I am running esdi
> drives, I stick to sunos.

I more had in mind the time SunOS would run on my 3/260 but NetBSD
wouldn't. Turns out my backplane was misconfigured.

Side note: I lost my photocopy-of-a-photocopy-of-a-etc copy of some
Sun documentation detailing backplane configuration and board
arrangment a couple of years ago. Turns out I had let a roommate
borrow it, and he let a guy borrow it. Guy #2 returned my book to me
last week. Yeay!

> > I've got a Quantum Lightning half-gig that won't boot. Interestingly,
> > the Sun 669 drive, which is larger, will boot. I even made sure to
> > toggle SCSI parity, and the Quantum won't boot either way.
>
> I have several Quantum 270 and 540 things (LPS?) that seem to work
> OK.  I found a stash of 0669 drives, and they seem to do fine (since
> they are suns).

My Quantum was purchased new in '94, my 669 was a gift from a friend
whose employeer has no use for drives that small (and large!). It's
handy having friends who have no use for drives smaller than 18 gigs,

> Yeah, it is driving me nutso.  I have 8 60mb transports, and only 1
> still runs, although I did corner a couple of spare drive wheels
> from folks on the net.  At the rate mine are decomposing, there won't
> be a way to load a 60mb boot tape in a few more years.  I gotta find
> a workable replacement.....  I use the DC-xxxx 1/4 inch cartridges
> heavily, still, but with all my drives going south, I am having to
> write to CD for backup and redundancy.  S L O W.....

My 3/260 will boot from a 150 Viper with a 60mb tape. Not the first
time, but after multiple tries it does boot and run.

I've never tried using my Amiga A3070 tape drive, but it might work.
It's a Caliper CP150 mechanism. I'd have to take the drive out of the
case, it has that blasted 25-pin MacSCSI connector on it, d'm thing.

BTW, I have a copy of the Sun CD-ROM, but my filenames are truncated.
Could someone send me a copy of a find / -print of a 4.1.1 CD? Thanks.

"You're a slacker if you only give 90% 'cause you are afraid of the \
  other 10%."    -- Ross Smith               Apr 22 1999 2:29am