Subject: filesystem won't fsck
To: None <port-sun3@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/28/2000 02:54:52
...well, no, it's weirder than that.

I was working with NetBSD/sun3 and somehow managed to create a
filesystem that fsck thought was damaged but couldn't fix.  It would
always say

BLK(S) MISSING IN BIT MAPS
SALVAGE?

and then, when I say "y", would write on the disk...but then running
fsck again produces the same "error".  And I have reason to think that
the filesystem actually was corrupt; I twice got a panic ("freeing free
block", IIRC), and when cleaning up afterwards I found this weirdness.

Then, before running off at the keyboard about it, I moved the disk to
a SPARC and tried fsck there.  It produced no complaints at all, and
had no problem using the filesystem.

This is just too weird.  I have no idea how reproducible this may prove
to be...anyone have any ideas?  Does NetBSD/sun3 DTRT with memory
parity errors (ie, could this be an undetected memory error)?

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca