Subject: Boot device location
To: None <port-sun3@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/24/2000 11:48:29
I've got a Sun-3/60 with ROM rev 1.6, and it seems to have trouble
finding the boot device under some circumstances.

Booting from sd0a or sd0d works fine.  To boot from sd1a, I need to

> b sd(0,4,0)

(instead of the (0,8,0) I'd expect); similarly, other IDs need to be
multiplied by 4, not 8.  (I haven't tried them all, but I've tried, at
least, 0, 1, 2, and 4.)

But then when the kernel comes up, it says

boot device: <unknown>

probably because it's expecting multiplication by 8, not 4 - and
indeed, as an experiment, I put disks at IDs 1 and 2, and booted from
sd(0,8,0).  The disk activity lights made it clear I was in fact
booting from the disk at ID 2, and the boot messages showed

sd0 at scsibus0 targ 1 lun 0: ...
sd1 at scsibus0 targ 2 lun 0: ...
boot device: sd0a

so this is almost certainly what's wrong.

Is it serious?  Worth fixing?  Maybe.  Possible to fix?  Maybe not -
unless there's some way to tell whether the ROM demands multiplication
by 4 or 8, I can't see any way to fix it right, though it might work in
some cases to, when the boot device is not found assuming
multiplication by 8, try using 4 instead.

I can poke at this machine further if anyone wants more details.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca