Subject: Re: ...oh woe, or suffering...and beyond..
To: None <mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca>
From: Db <Db@hypermax.net.au>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/18/2000 04:34:19
>> as for additional RAM there were only 3rd party hacky add on boards
>> (up to 12 M) which are probably hard to find loose.  I wonder what
>> building one would take :-)

>Lots of care, and probably fairly sophisticated fab lines.

...you forgot to mention masochistic tendencies, and inane boredom (;

[..snip..]

>The way they work is, you pull two chips (the MMU and one other, I
>think) and plug in a daughterboard.  Then you put the two chips back
>into sockets on the daughterboard.  Also on the board are eight 30-pin
>SIMM sockets, which you then proceed to populate with SIMMs (1M only
>AFAIK, hence 12M max - 4M onboard, 8M on add-on - but wouldn't it be
>cool if they took 4M :).

...probably quite the opposite..they would add to the enormous heat
generated by the onboard ramfield (aka. 'the heater elements' ;), and
would therefore be deemed a 'hot' bit of addon <grin>..but, you're right
about the 4M chips...wish I could do something useful with the bagful of
same I have sitting uselessly in drawers around here...or even the gaggle
of 1M SIMMS I have. Current plans for these include fishing lures, or
family heirlooms..

[..snip..]

>There is that. :-)  I'm doing a build-of-the-world now on a -3/60 and
>it's doing a pretty good job of taking its time without even doing much
>swapping.  (The machine is fully loaded, with 28 megs of RAM.)

...geez, how do you put up with all that quiet? (^B

            Cheers!