Subject: Re: ...oh woe, or suffering...and beyond..
To: None <port-sun3@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/17/2000 12:21:07
>> as for additional RAM there were only 3rd party hacky add on boards
>> (up to 12 M) which are probably hard to find loose.  I wonder what
>> building one would take :-)

Lots of care, and probably fairly sophisticated fab lines.

> ..yes, I have heard of these mythical expansions, but you are right
> (in understatement) of their rarity...I haven't even seen a picture
> of one, let alone an actual specimen.

Goodness, I didn't realize I was so privileged.  I've seen two of them.
I think they have the name `Helios' on the board, but my memory has
flaked out on that point before - I used to think it was `Falcon'.

The way they work is, you pull two chips (the MMU and one other, I
think) and plug in a daughterboard.  Then you put the two chips back
into sockets on the daughterboard.  Also on the board are eight 30-pin
SIMM sockets, which you then proceed to populate with SIMMs (1M only
AFAIK, hence 12M max - 4M onboard, 8M on add-on - but wouldn't it be
cool if they took 4M :).

>> nfs swap on 10base2 network is understandably slow, of course :-(
>> which is what I am stuck with as well)
> I'm unsure whether nfs swap is any faster or slower than the access
> times on scsi swap partition...

Slower, at least over 10 megabit, which is all a -3/50 is capable of
(unless you have SCSI ethernet - but even then, I doubt swap over SCSI
ethernet would be faster than swap to SCSI disk).

> though, it probably peels off into the wilderness of not mattering..I
> dare say the speed of either medium could not encroach on the 3/50's
> ability to take it's time.

There is that. :-)  I'm doing a build-of-the-world now on a -3/60 and
it's doing a pretty good job of taking its time without even doing much
swapping.  (The machine is fully loaded, with 28 megs of RAM.)

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca