Subject: ...oh woe, or suffering...and beyond..
To: None <port-sun3@netbsd.org>
From: Db <Db@hypermax.net.au>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/17/2000 11:28:08
>David Brownlee wrote:
>
>         What version are you trying? Did you manage to get a specific
>         1.4.1 kernel for a sun3/50?
>
>                 David/absolute

....after turning the 3/50 off for a while, and letting the room-air cool
to below 65degreesC, I found my brain was still able to think and so
I proceeded to do a bit more RTFM on the linux side. The paranioa
displayed by the RHL-6 box is allayed by including the 'insecure' option
in the /etc/exports line describing the dir for the 3/50 to get miniroot
from. This, was a giant leap forward...I now had the miniroot image copied
successfully to sd0b and booting from it, but alas, such joys were
shortlived....

   In the event here, I was attempting NFS install of the 1.4.1 snap.
After meandering through the automated questionaire and getting to the
stage of NFS mounting the dir containing the install sets, the supplied
miniroot image gets into trouble. It seems to get the NFS dir mount
business over and done with fine, but in looking for the sets, issues a ls
of the NFS mountpoint (/mnt2), which returns;

ls: Protocol is not supported

  I have no idea where this is coming from, but I can only surmize it's
somewhere in the miniroot because after changing tack and installing the
system using ftp (which works like a dream I might add), NFS mounting the
same (or any) dir from the linux box and doing a ls of the mountpoint
works fine with the *installed* system...<shrug>...

  Apart from this wrinkle, everything else is solved now...except perhaps
the need to rehydrate my body after the 3/50 has been running in the same
room as myself and 4 other linux boxes...we mused with saline_drips as a
possible solution, but may opt for something less messy, like an air-con.

  Btw...compiling on a 3/50 with it's stock 4mb of ram and old CDC scsi
brick re-defines the meaning of the words 'wait for it'...if I ever have a
want for this machine now, it would be for extra ram...

      Cheers!