Subject: sun3 vnd support and 'make snapshot'
To: None <port-sun3@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 12/27/1999 05:09:06
Well, I've got a build of 19991209-UTC for sun3 finished.

I've been hacking 'make snapshot' lately so I decided to try and get that
working. Apparently there's been some code drift between etc/Makefile and
etc.*/Makefile.inc on some ports, including sun3. Wasn't hard to fix.

The main thing left to fix is that vnd devices are not used for creating
the FFS images in the ramdisk and the miniroot. The current make bits
hardcode sd1b, which is scary to say the least (fortunately I don't have
an sd1 on my sun3, so it bombed out cleanly for me). I did have 2 megs of
unallocated sectors on my sun3's ancient SeaCrate disk, so I added a tiny
sd0h partition and used it to make the ramdisk stuff successfully.

The miniroot is a different story; I'll need to repartition first. I've
been meaning to do that eventually anyway (I'm using a /usr/moreswap file
to keep clean builds of libc from bloating the make process too much for
my present sd0b), but the real solution would be to use vnd devices.

However! vnd's appear to be Not Supported by sun3. 'sh MAKEDEV all' won't
create them, and they are commented out of GENERIC.

Could someone with relevant wisdom let me know the situation here and what
our prospects are for getting vnd's to work? URL's to mail-index are fine.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com