Subject: Re: slow Sun3 make builds
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@goanna.cs.rmit.edu.au>
From: Stan Voket <asv@gaboon.imcinternet.net>
List: port-sun3
Date: 12/04/1999 09:21:04
On Sat, 4 Dec 1999, Luke Mewburn wrote:

> Stan Voket writes:
> > Recently there has been much discussion n the very slow "make build"
> > times. It seems that remaking the OS is an application for a parallel make
> > scheme. I would be uncertain how to implement this but I'd like to
> > stimulate discussion. Perhaps if the make build could be distributed among
> > several machines on a LAN then it could be distributed to interested
> > participants around the Internet. We then could have our snapshots in 20
> > minutes instead of 5 days.
> >
> > Any ideas on this?
>
> Yeah, just setup a cheap PC (e.g, celeron 466) and cross-compile it in
> 1-2 hours.

Yeah but...

This is all well and good and feasible too, but it seems that in "real
life"(tm) people tend to build world on the native host machine.

Check out this site:

http://www3.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~zimmerms/ppmake/

This page highlights "ppmake" real parallel execution of makefiles using
PVM which does compile and run on NetBSD.

Stan

--
 -  Stan Voket, asv@gaboon.imcinternet.net -  http://gaboon.imcinternet.net -
         "If you think you can, or you can't; you are _always_ right!"