Subject: Sun3/80 "Unknown error; help!"
To: None <port-sun3@netbsd.org>
From: Marc Schneiders <marc@oldserver.demon.nl>
List: port-sun3
Date: 09/18/1999 23:21:59
Sorry to bother you again with newbie problems about getting a diskless
Sun 3/80 (8 MB RAM, keyboard type 4, 19" b/w screen) to run. I don't seem
to be able to find a similar problem discussed in this year's list
archive.

Thanks to help on this list I found a diskless kernel. Machine boots.
Towards the end of the boot messages it says:

nfs_boot: hostname=diskless
root on aperta:/export/diskless/root
Segmentation fault -  core dumped
Automatic reboot in progress: starting file system checks
Segmentation fault - core dumped
Unknown error; help!
Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for shell

(So I hit return, and see:)

Sep 18 20:22:49 init: can't exec for single user: No such file or
	directory
/usr/bin/id: not found
[: 0: unknown operand
Don't login as root, use the su command
diskless$

(Just for the record: I did not login as root, I did not have a chance to
login. Fine, I do what the diskless-HOWTO says:)

diskless$ mount /usr
Segmentation fault - cored dumped
diskless$ mount aperta:/export/diskless/usr /usr

(This does the trick. Apparently /etc/fstab is not read?)

diskless$ exit
Segmentation fault - core dumped
setting tty flags [...]
adding interface aliases
Segmentation [...]
Segmentation [...]
Segmentation [...]

(And so it goes on, to quickly for me to write it down, and it is not
useful, I presume anyway. It ends with:)

Sep 18 [...] init: can't exec getty '/usr/libexec/getty' for port [...]

(Core files: fsck, mount, swpctl.)

---
I have installed all tgz's from the snapshot of 990416 and the diskless3x
kernel from snapshot 990518.
---
What am I doing wrong? I have been thinking about the following:
1. Incorrect uid's? The server is running OpenBSD 2.5. I cannot get a
decent reply from it about the tar version, so I installed tar 1.12 from
the OpenBSD-packages just to be OK for sure. If I understand the HOWTO
correctly this should work with uid's.
2. Is there a problem with the swap? Although I had the idea there was an
error here in the HOWTO (file /export/client/swap next to a directory
/export/client/root/swap (??), with both /etc/exports on server and
/etc/fstab on client pointing to the file for swap), I did it exactly as printed
there.
3. Hardware problems?

Any help much appreciated! Many thanks for the help so far!

Marc

--
Marc Schneiders

marc@venster.nl