Subject: Re: marketing NetBSD to the old SunOS crowd
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 09/02/1999 11:13:56
On Wed, 1 Sep 1999, NetBSD Bob wrote:

> > > How does one get a tape to properly work on those and still mount in
> > > a 12 slot deskside case?
> > >
> > 	Have you opened a PR on the problem with as much info as you can
> > 	get? (Probably with a kernel with DEBUG, SCSI_DEBUG, and
> > 	DIAGNOSTIC)
>
> Be a little more specific as to what all is needed and I will see
> if I can roll up something.

	Roll a kernel with DEBUG, SCSI_DEBUG, and DIAGNOSTIC enabled,
	then report the dmesg boot messages, hardware configuration,
	and problems/errors seen.

	If you are able to try building a -current kernel also, that
	would be even better.

> What hardware configuration would you like me to try it on?
> (sun3, sun4, MD controller or direct scsi, MT controller or direct
> scsi, etc).

	Ideally a system that fails, then the minimal hardware change
	needed to make it work, for both the MT and MD controllers.

> I would like to get either the sun3 3/260 up with MT controller
> or sun4 4/260 up with MT controller (the 3/110 is currently on
> Sunos 3.5 for some fortran porting, and the 4/110 is my web server).
>
> What tapes do I need to roll from which snapshots or releases?
> I noticed the sun3 seemed to be only at the May snapshot level?

	Probably start with 1.4.1, then try the latest snapshot.
	If you have teh time then building your own -current snapshot
	would be best.

		David/absolute

    "Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative." - Oscar Wilde