Subject: Re: marketing NetBSD to the old SunOS crowd
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 09/02/1999 00:01:25
On Wed, Sep 01, 1999 at 06:37:52PM -0400, NetBSD Bob wrote:
> 1.  Install SunOS, standalone.

Do I remember hearing once that NetBSD's SunOS 4 emulation was so good
that you could install a NetBSD kernel in a SunOS 4 root filesystem
and just boot that kernel instead of vmunix?

That's a way to test out /netbsd with a running SunOS install. If you
have the drive space you could even install NetBSD from SunOS. The
filesystems won't be at the most up-to-date level, but fsck can upgrade
them.

Although personally I prefer to just network install. It's the least
destructive way of testing a machine without touching it's disks. It's
also near-trivial to bring up a second machine once the first is
operationally netbooting.

"She's a sonic magician."     Ross Smith really likes Ani Difranco.
                                                   April 22 1999 2:14am