Subject: Re: edlabel /dev/rsd0c .. problems :/
To: Gnea <gnea@rochester.rr.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 08/19/1999 23:02:14
On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, Gnea wrote:

> Ok, here's the skinny:  I am attempting to properly use edlabel on an
> IBM WDS-3200 206 Meg SCSI-2 hard drive on a SUNN 3/80 with netbsd 1.4  I
> wasn't able to properly figure out the proper values for everything, so
> I took the drive out, stuck it in a Linux box, ran fdisk on it to create
> a new SUN disklabel, and stuck it back in the 3/80.. I was about to
> netboot just fine from the Linux box and used dd to copy the miniroot
> over to the swap (/dev/rsd0b), break out, and b sd(0,10,1) it just
> fine.. so basically, I guess I need an rsd0d or something like that and
> I'm just not sure how to properly manifest it with edlabel, as there is
> no good documentation for edlabel to be found anywhere.  I'll help out
> here a bit by pasting the information from edlabel I currently have
> going:

	As far as I know the recommended way is to use disklabel
	(disklabel -i for those who like it interactive :)

> # edlabel /dev/rsd0c
> edlabel menu:
> print   - display the current disk label
> modify  - prompt for changes to the label
> write   - write the new label to disk
> quit    - terminate program
> edlabel> p
>         type_num: 4
>         sub_type: 0
>        type_name: WDS-3200      !
>        pack_name: Linux custom cyl
>     bytes/sector: 512
>    sectors/track: 32
>  tracks/cylinder: 64
>        cylinders: 204
> sectors/cylinder: 2048
> partition      start         (c/t/s)      nblks         (c/t/s)  type
>
>  a (root)          0       (0/00/00)     315392     (154/00/00)  4.2BSD
>  b (swap)     315392     (154/00/00)     102400      (50/00/00)  swap
>  c (disk)          0       (0/00/00)     417792     (204/00/00)  unknown
>  d (user)          0       (0/00/00)          0       (0/00/00)  unused
>  e (user)          0       (0/00/00)          0       (0/00/00)  unused
>  f (user)          0       (0/00/00)          0       (0/00/00)  unused
>  g (user)          0       (0/00/00)          0       (0/00/00)  unused
>  h (user)          0       (0/00/00)          0       (0/00/00)  unused
> edlabel>
>
> Before I got to this point, i had * (stars) on the root (a) and disk (c)
> partitions, indicating that the slices were not properly specified.  So
> I suppose I need to find out exactly HOW to calculate the proper
> cylinders/tracks/sectors for the rsd0d partition and plug them in so I
> can write the information to the hard drive.. I am HOPING that this is
> what I need to do because when I attempt to create a filesystem on
> rsd0a, I get the following:
>
> # newfs /dev/rsd0a
> /dev/rsd0a:     315392 sectors in 154 cylinders of 64 tracks, 32 sectors
>
> And it just sits there diddling it's thumbs forever and ever until i hit
> control-c and it doesn't write the filesystem at all.. I even let it sit
> there for 5 hours straight (played some quake 2 in the meantime to
> releive the stress ;) ) and it STILL didn't budge... I've also tried the
> -O option and that hasn't helped... it does this also within the
> 'install' script..  I can't get any farther into the installation until
> this is fixed and I am really stumped here.. any help would be greatly
> appreciated :)  In particular, perhaps some sort of formula to calculate
> the precise number of cylinders/tracks/sectors ;)

	What you have looks pretty plasible there - I'd be inclined to
	move the swap to the end of the disk and enlarge a to take up
	the rest of the space.

	Hmm - is it possible its termination - if I recall the 3/80
	was a little fussy about disk termination...

		David/absolute

 -=-  "I know its not the right thing, and I know its not the good thing"  -=-