Subject: Re: missing devices in miniroot
To: doj <doj@cubic.org>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 08/13/1999 20:17:35
On Thu, 12 Aug 1999, doj wrote:

> My problem is: I want to install on my second Xylogics disk. But the
> miniroot filesystem is lacking the devices
> /dev/xy1a, /dev/xy1b, /dev/rxy1a, /dev/rxy1b ...

	As a workaround can you swap across your disk cables? :)

> As the filesystem is mounted read-only I can not make the new device
> entries myself. My question is:
>
> 1) How can I mount the miniroot writable ?

	You might be able to use 'mount - o update,async /dev/XXX /'
	where XXX is the device (obtainable from 'mount')

> 2) Or how can I patch the miniroot to contain the devices ?

	Try the above, then 'MAKEDEV xy1' in /dev

> 3) Can someone make a new miniroot with those devices for me ?

	I don't have any sun3 kit running right now :(

> Actually I am totally new, both to sun3 and netbsd (but I have other
> unix experience).

	Welcome aboard :)

		David/absolute

       What _is_, what _should be_, and what _could be_ are all distinct.