Subject: Re: thanks and SCSI CD-ROM question
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: Matt <fredette@MIT.EDU>
List: port-sun3
Date: 04/20/1999 08:00:51
> Which kernel are you using? GENERIC? Or something specific?

Something specific.

> that CD-ROM device should be recognized at boot time as "cd0" not "sd2";
> the only reason I can think that it's not is that the SCSI cd driver isn't
> compiled into the kernel.

After running config, the resulting arch/sun3/compile/XXX/cd.h
contains:

#define NCD     1
#define NCD_SCSIBUS     1
#define NCD_ATAPIBUS    0

And I saw in arch/sun3/sun3/conf.c, in cdevsw[]:

        cdev_disk_init(NCD,cd),         /* 58: SCSI CD-ROM */

So I assume the driver is being compiled in, but it just isn't being
told to attach (correct term?) the device.

How does the kernel decide what's a CD-ROM and what's a disk?  Could
it be fooled because this is an older CD-ROM? If I rebuild my kernel
with:

cd0 at scsibus0 target 6 lun 0          # the SCSI CD-ROM

will that force it to assign the device to cd0 instead of sd2?

Thanks,

Matt

--
Matt Fredette