Subject: Re: 19990416 snapshot available
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
List: port-sun3
Date: 04/19/1999 18:53:36
"Erik E. Fair" <fair@clock.org> writes:

> Has anyone tried to run NetBSD/sun3 diskless lately?

	My 3/60 build engine runs totally diskless - the only bug I
had to fix was one in rpc.bootparamd to make it work on the
Alpha. I've gone through a couple of release builds in this
configuration, and it's been up for nearly a month.

	(Based on the relative CPU speeds and build speeds of the 3/60
and the diskful ss1+ sitting next to it, I'm starting to believe that
it's faster to run diskless than with it would be to run with most of
the disks I'd be likely to throw onto a machine of that era. It helps
that both boxes have enough memory to not swap, and have a MFS /tmp
for building. Haven't gotten around to quantitative testing, though).

	- Nathan