Subject: [Fwd: miniroot problem (?) with netbooting a 3/80]
To: None <port-sun3@netbsd.org>
From: Gordon Ross <gwr@netbsd.org>
List: port-sun3
Date: 10/20/1998 02:59:35
--------------1DB6427F65E24F8BE10905BB

Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 02:58:47 -0400
From: Gordon Ross <gwr@netbsd.org>
To: ratbert <dono@async.org>
Subject: Re: miniroot problem (?) with netbooting a 3/80

ratbert wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I finally got everything seemingly working, as far as netbooting a 3/80
> for installation goes.
>
> I got tftp stuff set up, /etc/bootparams seemingly correct, bootparamd
> running, and rarpd. When the machine boots, it gets netboot from the tftp
> server, then boots the netbsd-rd kernel from the nfs server. It then asks
> me for the root device, and I specify le0. It mounts the root specified in

Bzzzt!  Do you have the INSTALL.sun3 document from the release area?
The netbsd-rd kernel only lets you copy the miniroot to swap.  You
must then boot from the swap area, usually with:  b sd(0,0,1)

> How do I get the client to see the miniroot image? I placed the
> uncompressed miniroot image as /x/hybrid/root/miniroot, and tried
> /x/hybrid/miniroot, as well.

If you want it on your NFS server, you would need it unpacked is
individual files rather than as a filesystem image...
(Maybe the next release will include that.)

Gordon

--------------1DB6427F65E24F8BE10905BB--