Subject: Re: Sun 3/80 SCSI problem
To: John Ruschmeyer <jruschme@exit109.com>
From: Jeremy Cooper <jeremy@broder.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 07/20/1998 14:39:48
On Sat, 18 Jul 1998, John Ruschmeyer wrote:

> [ Have 3/80.  The NVRAM battery is dead ]
> When I do a "b st()", however, all I get is the response:
>
> 	st: Device not found.
>
> No variation of "st()" seems to make a difference. FYI, my tape is at ID
> 4.

Sun made a mistake when they designed the 3/80 and its boot ROM.  The ROM
needs the NVRAM in order to establish the identity of the machine.  (That
is, whether it is a 3/80 or a 3/470).  Without the machine identity, the
boot ROM can't determine whether to use the 3/80 SCSI chip or the 3/470
SCSI chip.  Consequently, it acts as though it has no SCSI devices at all.

You will have to wait for your new NVRAM or program a temporary one until
then.

-J