Subject: Re: Sun 3/60 SCSI TERMPWR problem
To: NetBSD/sun3 Discussion List <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/22/1998 03:23:59
Well, I had a chance to test the disks involved in my little debacle, and
they're both fine - I attached them to a SPARC FSBE/S (an Sbus Fast SCSI-2
controller), mounted them, dd'd them, and so on. No errors at all.

This, alas, leads me to believe that something on the 3/60 motherboard fried.
However, cursory examination showed no chips with craters or other obvious
problems. Fortunately, most of the chips on that board are socketed, so they
can be replaced if pin-compatible replacements can be found. Unfortunately,
my examination is hampered by the fact that this 3/60 has a P4 CG daughtercard
covering the relevant portion of the motherboard, and it looks like it will
be a problem to remove.

The most unfortunate part of all of this is that while I have the facilities
to run this system with the fried SCSI as diskless, it has been my experience
that NetBSD/sun3 does not run reliably this way - it invokes the "everything
core dumps" bug with unhappy frequency. Has anyone else had better luck running
a Sun 3/50 or 3/60 diskless?

	Erik E. Fair	fair@clock.org