Subject: Re: Sun 3/60 SCSI TERMPWR problem
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/19/1998 12:15:59
[ On Tue, May 19, 1998 at 08:51:32 (-0700), "Erik E. Fair" (Timekeeper) wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Sun 3/60 SCSI TERMPWR problem
>
> The question I asked is, "What did I fry and can it be fixed?"

You likely fried the host adapter line drivers, or possibly the TERMPWR
source on the motherboard....  Unless your boot disk was supplying
TERMPWR, in which case it's possibly what's fried.

On the other hand I've seen a ribbon cable with TERMPWR burned black,
and the only thing that was damaged was the disk that hadn't been
properly jumpered (the TERMPWR trace burned off its PCB, I think).

The best thing to do is get one of those magnifying glasses with a
fluorescent light around it and examine as much asyou can of the disk
PCBs and the motherboard.

Of course if you have another boot disk, or can find one to borrow, it
should be safe to attach it for test (either there's no more TERMPWR
available, or it's fine).  Just make sure the test disk is properly
jumpered for your system!  ;-)

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734      VE3TCP      <gwoods@acm.org>      <robohack!woods>