Subject: Overclocking
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Nick <naamato@cs.wmich.edu>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/19/1998 03:15:04
Hi;

Yes, slightly off topic, and yes, probably an old thread.

I just threw a 48Mhz oscillator at U110 (replacing the 40 MHz
one) on my 3/60.  I'm seeing some very strange behavior.
I did not change the thermal characteristics of the machine
in any way, didn't even add a heat sink.

Upon booting it cold, it passes self-testing and boots normally.
The first time it ran for around two hours, and I had almost
finished a build of gated(8) when it crashed, the LEDs displaying
an unrecognizable pattern.

If I restart the machine, however, the self-test fails (it leaves
LED 0 set).  If I let it cool completely, for around fifteen minutes,
it boots fine again.

a)  Has anyone been successful with this procedure?

b)  I'm a hack of a solder artist, but all of the joints
    look just fine.  Does this sound like a solder joint problem?

Nick
naamato@cs.wmich.edu