Subject: Re: CPU instruction set optimization
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Toshiyasu Morita <tm@netcom.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/05/1998 16:25:47
> 	I could be missing something here, but is the sun3x kernel
> 	compiled with -m68030? I see the .s files are assembled with
> 	-m68030, but I do not see it in the CFLAGS?
>
> 	The 680{2,3,4,6}0 issue is pretty much independant of which 68k
> 	based arch is being used - assuming the userland is completely
> 	sharable. (a sun3x and 68030 based mac would be able to run the
> 	same -m68030 compiled userland).
>
> 	If we want to provide better performance for 68030 and above
> 	then we should ensure there is an easy way to turn on
> 	-m680{3,4,5,6}0 in /etc/mk.conf, and then document it.
>
> 	It might also be an idea to tweak the Xserver config to compile
> 	different -m680X0 X servers, thos I can see that being a
> 	nightmare.
>
> 		David/absolute
>
> 	  -=-  Maybe your misinterpretation of my actions is
> 	      in conflict with your misconception of who I am  -=-

If you look at the m68k machine description then you will see that the only
difference between 68020/68030/68040/68060 is gcc avoids slow floating-point
instructions on the 68040 and 68060 which are implemented as software traps.

Please explain why the kernel should be optimized for fast floating-point
computations.

Toshi