Subject: Re: Installing from SunOS
To: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
From: Todd 'Taco' Hansen <taco@tshansen.reshall.ucsd.edu>
List: port-sun3
Date: 05/02/1998 00:08:59
hmm, I finally got around to doing this repetivily with multiple drives
and it always seems to stomp my label (the geometry of the drive). Any
ideas? Instead of using the swap partition, I am using a blank (or
effectively so) drive and repartitioning it and reformating it. I am using
parition a instead of b. so it is on the beginning of the disk. When I do
the dd, I believe it writes over the label, because when I boot again it
tells me the label is missing/corrupt depending on the system. I am not
running newfs on it, just format because it is supposed to be a swap
partition and I thought you made swap partitions by using format to create
it and format it and then you could mount it as swap or do the dd in my
case. Anyway, as I have said before I have tried it on two hard drives
with the same effect. My guess is I need to make an A partition of some
size, 100 blocks? and then make the B parition 60,000 blocks or so and do
the dd there, hopefully then it will be farther down the disk and unable
to kill the label. Any ideas? Thanks. BTW, why is there now release of
NetBSD-1.3.1 for sun3x?
	-taco

--
"Hey!  Who took the cork off my lunch??!"
                -- W. C. Fields

Todd Hansen, KD6YPS
http://sehplib.ucsd.edu/~tshansen/