Subject: Re: sun3 versus netbsd-1.3 kernel sizes
To: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 02/25/1998 12:59:54
On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, Gordon W. Ross wrote:

> Does that mean I should pull stuff out of GENERIC until it can
> fit into the 1MB region?  Or somehow add support for booting
> kernels that use more than 1MB for the initial load?

	You mentioned that a stripped generic kernel would probably boot
	on a 3/50. Would it be feasible to have the bootloader detect
	a >1MB kernel on a 3/50 and not load the symbols? (With
	appropriate diagnostics)

	The 3/50 user still has to end up using a smaller kernel, but it
	allows one set of install media to work for all...

> Note that Sun3 PROMs do not promise to make more than 1MB of
> contiguous memory available, so supporting larger kernels will
> require significant work in the boot programs and the kernel.
> The rule: KVA = PA + KERNBASE would no longer be true in all
> memory initially mapped for the kernel.  Messy...

	So >1MB kernels are a potential problem on all sun3 machines?

		David/absolute

		     He who laughs, lasts...