Subject: Re: Sun3/50 versus the articles of reality...
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Alexander Bochmann <bochmann@infra.de>
List: port-sun3
Date: 02/25/1998 12:16:02
...on Wed, Feb 25, 1998 at 01:02:17AM +0000, Db wrote:

 >         Am I wrong in finding the sun3/50 purposeful for two things
 > only.....ie; irc and text editing/reading?
 >   If so, let me know....I'd be really interested to know (-;

It depends... I'm just writing this off a SUN3/160 (which is not yet running
NetBSD, and I guess it's more sort of a "high end server" compared to a 3/50) -
anyway, the box quite happily handles mail, ftp, www, primary DNS for
our domain, as well as some terminal users, and, until last week or so,
5 dialup lines for logins, PPP, and UUCP.

As long as you don't have to care for the power bill, what you
get is a sufficiently stable, not-too-slow server for most internet services
(I wouldn't want to run a news system on it, or anything else that uses lots
of RAM, though...). It didn't even die when I used it as NFS server to
netboot another (currently diskless) 3/160 off it & compiled some NetBSD
kernels on that machine... I think that's quite great for a piece of
hardware which is 10 or 15 or whatever years old. Shure, some cheap
Pentium could do the same and lots more, but it wouldn't be as much fun.

Alex.