Subject: re: Sun3/50 versus the articles of reality...
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Db <db@hypermax.net.au>
List: port-sun3
Date: 02/25/1998 01:02:17
Heya Listians!

                       You might say this is somewhere between an epilog
and an epitaph....<grin>

This all started (for me) as a more or less personal challenge to get an
old, once highly prized and powerful machine of mythical  proportions,
up and running again amidst the technology of today. That must scare the
pants off the sun3/50's trusty old '020.  I take this moment to thank
all of those in the list who have participated in answering my nubile
questions about netbsd, and who therefore in some way contributed to me
having a successfully running  netbsd1.2 system on the sun3/50 here,
happily using my redhat box as it's gateway out to the 'net  (via
ip-masq), doing what it can do best nowadays....irc.  (^8

    Travelling down this old, antiquated track littered with 41256's and
nutso sick-puppy people like me who can get off on the realization that
the sun3 series of machines were once considered the 'bees knees' of
machines that went 'boing!' in the late 80's......the true marvel is at
that time, I lusted in the mind over owning a Sun workstation whilst
then owning a rev.7 A500/030 Derringer @ 25Mhz. I now realize how lucky
I was......my son still uses the Amiga....it still nails the sun3/50 to
the scenery :-)

        Am I wrong in finding the sun3/50 purposeful for two things
only.....ie; irc and text editing/reading?

  If so, let me know....I'd be really interested to know (-;

     If not, then I really suspect I have nothing to gain (nor the sun3
for that matter) by even being able to upgrade the machine's OS version
to 1.3......easily that is; ie; the way it should install in the first
place ;^)
I could of course be wrong, and think I probably am <grin>, which is why
I originally posted the request for a sun3/50 specific kernel in the
installation packages so you could get it at least going.

   That seems to have opened a little polemical debate about what to do
and how to do it. In view of the shear gut-wrenching performance
demostrated to me by this sun3/50.....(which really had me in  tears
.....laughing ;)...I view this debate as more academic in nature....
"hey!!....wakey wakey, smell the coffee! it doesn't matter guys!!"
....and really, it doesn't......

      The sun3/50 is to computers of today, like a 1963 volkswagon will
always be the a Porsche 935T. Can't someone start doing something
constructive ..ie; start building any sort of netbsd-1.3 kernel stripped
down, hacked-up stomped on....hit it with a piece of wood whatever, and
do me the greatest of favours and just send me something...I'm quiet
willing to test anything and sendback reports....but I *really* do
stress here, that myself would only be bothered to do so if there was
some gain in having the 1.3 kernel available for the sun3/50....that is,
I take it only the sun3/50 has the memory 'hole'?? If it was just as the
1.2 kernel is with no gains, leave it there and discontinue support for
the sun3/50 specifically, because maybe that's where these once mightly
giants should now reside...locatable memoirs and archives about 17
directories down in the  netbsd ftp site ;-)

   Cheers!
                            Db