Subject: Re: sun3 versus netbsd-1.3 kernel sizes
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 02/24/1998 12:06:46
> From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
> Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 13:03:20 -0800
>
GWR> Given those points, I'm not motivated to make it possible to
GWR> boot (initial) kernel images larger than 1MB on the 3/50.
>
> That seems silly... if it's easy to do, it should be made possible
> to boot GENERIC on all members fo the sun3 family.

Does that mean I should pull stuff out of GENERIC until it can
fit into the 1MB region?  Or somehow add support for booting
kernels that use more than 1MB for the initial load?

Note that Sun3 PROMs do not promise to make more than 1MB of
contiguous memory available, so supporting larger kernels will
require significant work in the boot programs and the kernel.
The rule: KVA = PA + KERNBASE would no longer be true in all
memory initially mapped for the kernel.  Messy...

I still favor the LKM solution.

Gordon