Subject: Re: sun3 versus netbsd-1.3 kernel sizes
To: None <rmk@rmkhome.rmkhome.com>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 02/20/1998 11:34:19
> From: Rick Kelly <rmk@rmkhome.rmkhome.com>
> Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 11:19:57 -0500 (EST)
>
> Gordon W. Ross said:
>
> >Given those points, I'm not motivated to make it possible to
> >boot (initial) kernel images larger than 1MB on the 3/50.
>
> So the logical thing to do is to have a 3/50 specific miniroot and
> netbsd.rd.

No, I think it would make more sense to build an INSTALL kernel
that does not have so much bloat as GENERIC does.  GENERIC will
almost fit as it is, so it should be easy to slim it down.  We
can do without: SYSVMSG, SYSVSEM, SYSVSHM, KTRACE, UNION, PROCFS,
NFSSERVER, (and probably lots of other things).  I guess I sould
do that for the 1.3.1 patch release (for 3/50 support).

Gordon