Subject: 3/80 install problem
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rick Copeland <rickgc@calweb.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 02/11/1998 22:44:49
Sun3 List,

I am having a problem getting the filesystems written to disk on a Sun 3/80
(using NetBSD 1.2e). I did it some time ago to my first 3/80 but somewhere I
have left something out of my notes. Below is an excerpt from the install
program (sorry for the length) but I want to show the parameters I have
entered. As you can see it builds the filesystem on the "a" partition but
not on the "e" (comes up with "write error 412648"). Can someone tell me
what I am doing wrong here?

Thank You,

Rick Copeland

Proceed with installation? [n] y
Cool!  Let's get to it...
Remounting root read-write...

The installation program needs to know which disk to consider
the root disk.  Note the unit number may be different than
the unit number you used in the standalone installation
program.

Available disks are:

sd0

Which disk is the root disk? sd0
Do you wish to edit the disklabel on sd0? [y]

Here is an example of what the partition information will look like once
you have entered the disklabel editor. Disk partition sizes and offsets
are in sector (most likely 512 bytes) units. Make sure these size/offset
pairs are on cylinder boundaries (the number of sector per cylinder is
given in the `sectors/cylinder' entry, which is not shown here).

Do not change any parameters except the partition layout and the label name.
It's probably also wisest not to touch the `8 partitions:' line, even
in case you have defined less than eight partitions.

[Example]
8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize   cpg]
  a:    50176        0    4.2BSD     1024  8192    16   # (Cyl.    0 - 111)
  b:    64512    50176      swap                        # (Cyl.  112 - 255)
  c:   640192        0   unknown                        # (Cyl.    0 - 1428)
  d:   525504   114688    4.2BSD     1024  8192    16   # (Cyl.  256 - 1428)
[End of example]

Press [Enter] to continue
edlabel menu:
print   - display the current disk label
modify  - prompt for changes to the label
write   - write the new label to disk
quit    - terminate program
edlabel> q

You will now have the opportunity to enter filesystem information.
You will be prompted for device name and mount point (full path,
including the prepending '/' character).

Note that these do not have to be in any particular order.  You will
be given the opportunity to edit the resulting 'fstab' file before
any of the filesystems are mounted.  At that time you will be able
to resolve any filesystem order dependencies.

The following will be used for the root filesystem:
        sd0a    /

Device name? [done] sd0e
Mount point? /usr

Device name? [done]

You have configured the following devices and mount points:

sd0a    /
sd0e    /usr

Filesystems will now be created on these devices.  If you made any
mistakes, you may edit this now.  Edit? [n]
Creating filesystems...
Warning: 1 sector(s) in last cylinder unallocated
/dev/rsd0a:     33074 sectors in 105 cylinders of 7 tracks, 45 sectors
        16.1MB in 7 cyl groups (16 c/g, 2.46MB/g, 640 i/g)
super-block backups (for fsck -b #) at:
 32, 5120, 10208, 15296, 20384, 25472, 30560,

sd0(esp0:0:0): illegal request, data = 00 00 f8 55 21 c0 01 e0 00 00
write error: 412648
wtfs: Invalid argument

You will now be given the opportunity to configure the network.  This will
be useful if you need to transfer the installation sets via FTP or NFS.
Even if you choose not to transfer installation sets that way, this
information will be preserved and copied into the new root filesystem.

Note, enter all symbolic host names WITHOUT the domain name appended.
I.e. use 'hostname' NOT 'hostname.domain.name'.

Configure the network? [y]