Subject: Re: X problem with dual headed Su3/60
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sun3
Date: 02/08/1998 15:44:59
> I've been playing around with the assorted Sun3 hardware I've got
> laying around and finally got a box with an onboard bwtwo and a P4
> cgfour up and running.  X works as expected with one exception; when
> the cursor moves off the cgfour to the bwtwo the cgfour reverts to
> text mode.  While the cursor is on the cgfour updates occur in both
> screens just fine.

> Is this a normal behavior?

Kinda, perhaps.

This sounds to me as though you want to use the cgfour as if it were a
cgtwo - that is, you want to ignore the two one-bit planes (the
mis-called "monochrome" plane and the enable plane).  It even sounds as
though you have the X server persuaded to use the *other* bwtwo
instead.  But it also sounds as though the X server's cgfour support is
still flipping the enable plane when the cursor leaves the eight-bit
screen.

This can probably be fixed with a tiny tweak to the cgfour module in
the sun3 ddx layer - find the code that flips the enable plane, and
bash on it to ensure that it never changes anything when it's being rn
in an attempt to display the one-bit plane.  (Of course, the resulting
server won't be too useful on ordinary cgfours; to do this right would
mean a command-line option or something.)

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca