Subject: Re: problems with HP disks on sun3!
To: None <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 01/05/1998 11:08:28
> Date: Sun, 04 Jan 1998 22:10:49 -0500
> From: "Michael C. Richardson" <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>

[...]
>   Then I went to boot from sd(0,28,0) and got errors. I disconnected sd0, and
> set sd5 back to ID=0, and tried again, same errors. Argh.
>
> >b sd()
> Boot: sd(0,0,0)
> scsi: getbyte failed
> scsi: getbyte failed
> invalid status msg = FFFFFFFF
>
>   It appear that this comes from my boot rom...
>   I have been unable to find any info on these drives on the net.

That may be caused by incorrect SCSI termination power.
(Needs 5V, not Ground or N/C)

When term power is bad, the SCSI cable may work for slow
transfers, such as the PIO done to probe the disks, but
when data transfers w/DMA are attempted, you get errors.

Note that many older Sun3/60 machines were manufactured
with the SCSI connector incorrectly wired on the pin that
should supply termination power.  The TPWR pin is grounded
instead of being connected to 5V, so you either get smoke
(or a blown fuse) if some peripheral tries to drive the
TPWR line, or just incorrect termination.  The usual way
to work around this problem is to use a special cable on
the Sun3/60 with its TPWR line clipped; then supply TPWR
from one of the peripherals on the cable.