Subject: Re: savecore problem fixed
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 11/25/1997 18:36:57
[ On Tue, November 25, 1997 at 17:38:54 (-0500), Gordon W. Ross wrote: ]
> Subject: savecore problem fixed
>
> > > Which brings up the issue of how much bigger the dump device must be
> > > than physical RAM.  I've got 48KB of space on the primary dump/swap
>
> Need:  dump_device_size >= (physmem + 32KB)

Of course I should have said "48_MB_", not "KB"!  ;-)

So I certainly have enough for a 32MB machine....

> The problem was that I misunderstood the meaning of the dumpsize
> variable in the kernel.  It is the size of just the raw memory part
> of the dump, not the entire dump imgage.  (Who woulda guessed?)
>
> It's fixed now.

OK, that's good to hear.

At some point this week I'll try sup'ing the ksrc collection and
building again.

[I'm eagerly awaiting news on the diskless/X11 problems -- I'm getting
used to my colour X terminal, but I do miss the size and crispness of
the big hi-res monitor too!  ;-)  Meanwhile I'm still up against a block
trying to figure out why two 3/60's would suddenly stop booting SunOS
from a SunOS server that had worked perfectly for a long long time -- I
may have to swap individual network parts (i.e. xceivers, cables, tees,
etc.) until it works again...]

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734      VE3TCP      <gwoods@acm.org>      <robohack!woods>