Subject: And just how big can it be? (Sun3/50 kernels..)
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
List: port-sun3
Date: 11/23/1997 13:09:49
Hi folks.

Having a bit of spare time this weekend I figured I'd upgrade my Sun3/50
from NetBSD-1.2G to 1.3_ALPHA.  So I pulled down the 19971121 sources
and compiled up a kernel.  On reboot, I got:

  Starting program at 0x4000
  kernel too large for Sun3/50

Ok, so the kernel was 970K or so, which didn't seem to be *too* big, but ok, I
could trim a bit.... So I built a kernel that was only 770K... Same error...
"kernel too large for Sun3/50"...  I tried stripping the kernel -- 690K now...
Still no go...  I pulled down the 19971121-snapshot "netbsd-gen" kernel in the
hope that it might work, but it's about a MB in size, and also gives the same
error (with some cool "screen garble" on 1/2 of the screen)... Sigh....

My "known to be good and working" kernel (76 days uptime) for 1.2G is a "mere"
910K.  My question is "How small does a kernel have to be on the 3/50 before
it will boot?"  Better yet, what needs to be "fixed" so that I can use a
kernel with some minimal functionality?  I suspect it's something in
sun3/pmap.c that needs to be tweaked, but I don't have the foggiest clue what
that might be...
(but that won't stop me from having a look anyway :-)

The machine in question has 8MB of RAM, in case that matters.  I'd be happy to
provide additional information or testing, if needed.

Thanks.

Later...

Greg Oster

oster@cs.usask.ca
Department of Computer Science
University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, CANADA