Subject: Re: new, improved pmap code
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sun3
Date: 11/06/1997 14:13:03
> The "everything core dumps" problem happened to me most often when I
> netbooted one sun3 from another - the client lost it about half the
> time.  Is this a common configuration out there in port-sun3 land,
> and of you who are using NetBSD this way, is the "everything core
> dumps" problem a common occurrence?

I've never run any NetBSD machine netbooted for more than the minimum
necessary to get a disk bootable.  In my experience, "everything dumps
core" has usually happened when I rebooted daily-planet (one of the
-3/260s at home).  If it loses, getty starts coreing before I ever see
a login prompt.  If it gets to the login prompt, everything's fine.
Well, almost; if I run enough processes to start swapping (the machine
has 24 megs of core), some things start getting corrupted.  I have an
image display program that mmap()s temporary files to store images in,
and if an image isn't refreshed for a while it will often be garbage
when it finally is exposed.  The most annoying symptom is that
ssh-agent often gets hit when anything does; when it does, things that
try to use ut end up seeing their agent connections drop unexpectedly,
typically with a SIGPIPE.  This then means (at least) restarting my X
session.

I'm going to be doing a sun3 build from a source tree that has gwr's
pmap changes in it and see if that helps.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca