Subject: Re: two questions
To: Brian Hechinger <wonko@blackhole.arkham.net>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: port-sun3
Date: 06/19/1997 13:37:40
On Wed, 18 Jun 1997, Brian Hechinger wrote:

> so why does Linux implement this at the kernel level?  easier? more efficient?

Let's just say the the Linux folks do not always design systems the same
way we would, and leave it at that. :-)

> i may check out the serial line balancing in the linux kernel and see about
> modifying pppd to do it.  i'm sure i'd make a lot of people happy if i could
> get line balancing in pppd for them to use on any platform!!  on that note, is
> there any sort of "standard" for line balancing?  what would i need to know
> ahead of time before i even start?  thanks.

Well, Portmasters do something in this regard, I gather, from the
comments in the Linux `driver.' I don't really know much about it,
though.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca	   Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite myst, software reverberates