Subject: Re: two questions
To: Brian Hechinger <wonko@blackhole.arkham.net>
From: Daniel S. Kosack <daniel@rani.kosack.fred.net>
List: port-sun3
Date: 06/18/1997 21:51:43
On Wed, 18 Jun 1997, Brian Hechinger wrote:

> so why does Linux implement this at the kernel level?  easier? more efficient?

  Why does Linux do many of the things it does... no one may ever really
know. :)

> i may check out the serial line balancing in the linux kernel and see about
> modifying pppd to do it.  i'm sure i'd make a lot of people happy if i could

  Hold a sec... I think you're going about this all wrong.  Firstly, you
don't need to modify the kernel to do multilink PPP (or, MPP for short).
Heck, Win95 doesn't even do it through the kernel AFAIK.  Just because
Linux does it that way does NOT mean it's the only right way.  Linux
thrives on breaking/bending the rules and trying wierd "sledgehammer in
lieu of shotgun" methods.

> get line balancing in pppd for them to use on any platform!!  on that note, is
> there any sort of "standard" for line balancing?  what would i need to know
> ahead of time before i even start?  thanks.

  MPP would be far more effective than across the board line balancing,
IMO, only because you can use one line or more than one line, and add
those additional lines as needed.

> i could probably dig up a dual-slot SBus GX for you if you'd like. would that
> help?

 Hmm... it seems you're not familiar with the Sun3, or you're trying your
hand at sarcasm.

--
Dan Kosack
kosack@fred.net