Subject: Re: sun3 ramdisk kernels
To: None <jeremy@broder.com>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 06/16/1997 11:52:08
> Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 16:00:43 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Jeremy Cooper <jeremy@broder.com>

> On Sun, 15 Jun 1997, Michael C. Richardson wrote:
>
> > [ Can't boot a kernel larger than 2MB ]
>
> >   Maybe, I can reduce my kernel to 1.6Mb in size (0x1A0000) when the
> > crunching is finished, but I'm hoping that there is a better solution,
> > like linking the NetBSD netboot to a higher address.
>
> Getting a bootstrap program to load to a higher address (such as
> 0x300000) requires some editing of the DVMA code in libsa and recompiling.
> Make sure that you change the pre-processor define ``SA_MIN_VA'' in dvma.c
> to a higher address.  (The default is 0x200000.)
>
> That, plus changing the link address, should do it.
>
> -J

Note also that booting a kernel image larger than 1044480 bytes
can never work on the Sun3/50 because the frame buffer is right
smack at 1MB physical.  The kernel loads starting at 16KB so the
image size limit is 1MB-16KB for text+data+bss+ bootstrap stuff.
(So, the maximum image size is actually a little smaller still.)

Yet another reason to use 3/50 boxes as X terminals...

Gordon